Journal Start Up - Bullet Journalling #1

by - Tuesday, December 13, 2016

As it is getting closer to the New Year, there has been one thing on my mind and that is starting this whole bullet journalling thang. I went into a stationary store recently and purchased, literally, the bare minimum I figured I would need to start up bullet journalling - a book(s) and a pen(s). I'm always weary of things like this where I feel like I need so many tools and materials to get started and with this I really wanna just use what I actually need and not be too excessive, that may come a bit later.



Personally for me and for my bullet journal, I wanted to use simple plain blank paper. I wasn't too fused about the size or the quality of paper but I really didn't want lines or dots or grids because for some reason I feel like that will really just mess me up. I would feel the need to have a constant 'theme' or 'setup' throughout and I really wanted this to be quite open and a planner sort of where I can do whatever I wanted to with it - which is essentially what a bullet journal is. 
I see a lot of people use the actual bullet journal journal or the leuchttrum one but these little notebooks were so much cheaper at only 69 Baht which is less than $3 NZ, so you can imagine how happy I was - Also the reason I got three was so that incase I ran out I could start a new one and have the journals look consistent in shape and size. Speaking of size, this is a little less than A5 which is super cute and perfect for me to carry around all the time. I'm also super happy that this isn't spiral bound, theres nothing I hate more than a spiral bound book!


Next up I got some pens. Wow.
I picked up a classic ball point pen style of pen which came in a set of 10 with all different colours. I'm also thinking about getting gel colour pens maybe since I find that gel just writes so much neater. And as for gel pens, I did get 3 black gel pens to write the majority of the stuff in my bullet journal. It has a really fine tip which is nice for smaller books.

So that is it for what I purchased. I went real basic and simple with this start up which I'm happy about since I mentioned before that I didn't want this to become somewhat excessive and an over the top way of planning. I also started a pinterest board to get me inspired and all that so follow that here if you are in need of inspiration for bullet journalling. 
If any of you guys are thinking of starting to use this style of journalling/planning or if you already are, let me know some of your tips and tricks as well as supplies you use all the time!

Lets Connect! 
Instagram @alongcamekathy_
Twitter @_kathy97
Etsy Shop Alongcamekathy

You May Also Like

22 comments

  1. I love bullet journals! And I'm with you when you say that it should be as open and free as you want it to be, sometimes when there's a constant them or setup I feel restricted. I have a planner type thing that I made on my own with a simple notebook. Planners tend to be quite expensive so I made my own instead.

    -Sophie xx || Cherries and Perfume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like planners have definitely become more expensive especially the more popular ones, defs don't wanna spend that much! Thanks for reading girl!

      Delete
  2. For me it is all about getting a dotted one, I suck at art so I need a dotted journal to keep me on track :)

    Erin || MakeErinOver || Happy Blogmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually contemplated getting a dotted one, figured it would annoy me if I messed up haha!

      Delete
  3. I want to start bullet journaling but I know I would give it up after about a week haha. Maybe for a New Year's Resolution!

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go though! I find it to be rather fun compared to using a regular planner

      Delete
  4. Ah I love this post, I want to buy some new journals now! haha. I am definitely taking inspiration from this, love your blog!! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you liked this too :)

      Delete
  5. Those are pretty journals, nice post!

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love journaling, too. I've been writing in my 'One Line A Day' diary and I love it!

    moorizZLA xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the 5 year journal and I've barely kept up with that and I've missed so many days, hoping this will get me excited to plan and write!

      Delete
  7. I love bullet journals! These ones you have are so pretty! =)

    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bullet journals, they just scare me so much, I know that I'm way too much of a perfectionist with things like this and i would never be entirely happy with how it turned out, so I commend you and good luck with yours, I'd love to see how you progress!

    Amelia x
    www.the98th.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist but I do like things neat but I can imagine how it can be a bit overwhelming since you can practically do anything with it! Thanks so much!!

      Delete
  9. I miss journaling so much. I'm in love with stationery and drool over it anytime I step into Michael's (craft store).
    I personally love blank journals too, so that way you can set up the pages how you want and have fun with it :)
    Maybe I'll add this onto my new years resolutions list!
    Rae // http://www.raechic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I'm just so obsessed with stationary from pens to books to tape! Definitely give it a go, it's more fun this way in my opinion :)

      Delete
  10. I'm such a pen snob. Honestly I have 100s of pens at this point, it's a mess. I love the idea of bullet journaling though, it's so beautiful. But I have such a problem doodling over everything, I just put it off. All my notebooks are filled with doodles and quotes and absolutely nothing that should be there. HA

    xoxox | Diana | http://www.dianavilic.com/2017/01/hello-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always doodle, and I've actually set up a few pages just for doodling haha

      Delete
  11. I think those little notebooks would be great for your first time bullet journaling! When I started, I committed to a larger notebook with a hard cover and TONS of pages. I found that having smaller journals are easier to get through and stay motivated.

    Jordyn Pamela | Lovely Little Roses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little notebooks are also easier to carry around with you which actually makes you wanna use it!

      Delete

Alongcamekathy. Powered by Blogger.