My Pen Picks - Back to Basics Handlettering

by - Friday, March 10, 2017

This is a post I've been wanting to do for a while now but have been a little uninspired, but a last... it's finally here! If you follow me on instagram @alongcamekathy_ then you'll know that I've slowly but surely been getting into hand lettering and calligraphy which is something I've really wanted to do for a long time. Today I've decided to share my real back to basics hand lettering pens that I will always go back to.




These are for sure a fave for many designers and hand letterers simply because of how easy they are to use and the variety of points they have. I really love using the brush pen by the Sakura of America brand as well even though it does take a little while to get used to. For me fine liners and pigment pens were my first hand lettering tools and I loved doing a faux calligraphy style with them - you can read about that here too!





Next up are the classic Crayola super tip pens, which do one hell of a fine job especially when you're a beginner since the tip is quite hard and you get much more control. These are also really inexpensive and I would 100% recommend if you are interested in starting out.




Heres a pen that has just recently joined my collection but I really recommend it. I bought this thinking it was the Pentel touch sign pen but this is just the Pentel sign pen which is a marker sort of pen. Although not what I was expecting, I've found it to work really well for all sorts of different styles and overall just glides along surfaces smoothly.





Lastly I have the classic and truly in my opinion something you can never go wrong with! I've learnt a few things whilst using the Sharpie, one is that you should not press to hard other wise it will bleed and the other is to always have a sharp point to get the best results. They also have the Metallic sharpies which have become my runner up after the original and I love how they shimmer in different light









I hope you enjoyed reading this! I'm planning a part two to this which will be my favourite paints and inks to use for hand lettering, so look forward to that coming in the next few weeks!
Let me know if you are interested in hand lettering and if you already are, what are some of your fave pens to use?
If you do use any of my photos and hand letterings, please credit!

Lets Connect! 
Instagram @alongcamekathy_
Twitter @_kathy97


Etsy Shop Alongcamekathy


You May Also Like

5 comments

  1. Gosh, I love posts like this! I used to be so into hand lettering, so satisfying and great to put together your own designs. Would be very interested in seeing more posts like this :)
    Will be sure to give you a follow <3


    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something so special about handwriting - especially yours - its amazing! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post Kathy! So cool to see what ones you are using and what lines they create, I use pad to borrow that Pentel sign pen off my friend at school because it was so chunky and different to everything else!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you're so talented! I wish I could do this xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a skill Kathy and your writing is really pretty. Please keep it up.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete

Alongcamekathy. Powered by Blogger.